Wednesday, November 9, 2011

First Card

I have been dying to make my first card using my starter kit since I received it last week.  Unfortunately with two small kids and Halloween, I didn't have time.  I finally took some time last night to make a birthday card for my sister-in-law.  Talk about waiting until the last minute since her birthday is Friday and it needs to be mailed to Bellingham, WA!  It was probably a good thing though because it got my butt in gear to do some crafting!

I have to admit that I am in love with this card.  I just love how it turned out and I pretty much made it from scratch.  I know there are probably thousands of cards out there that look very similar to mine but I just played around with my supplies to get it to look like this.  The reason I chose this design was because of the saying.  The cupcake and saying are from the Create a Cupcake set.  The saying says, "It's not about how many candles you blow out but how many cupcakes you get!"  Because of that I knew I wanted as many cupcakes that I could get on my card.  So with my design I could fit 3.


I chose the color combination of Tangerine Tango, Tempting Turquoise, and Old Olive from the Brights collection. I think the colors just look fabulous together and they pop really well on this card. I ran the tangerine tango cardstock through my Big Shot using the Square Lattice textured impressions embossing folders. I stamped the cupcakes with all three colors to mix and match. I punched out the cupcakes using the Cupcake Builder punch. I tied the Old Olive ribbon around the card front. I used Tempting Turquoise designer series paper to mount the cupcakes on and popped the middle cupcake up with Stampin' Dimensionals.  Here's a close up of the cupcakes.

The best thing about this card is that it was made only using supplies from my starter kit.  I was a demonstrator about a year ago and had to stop due to financial hardship with having a second child and husband getting out of the military.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it work.  Needless to say, I have a bunch of other Stampin' Up supplies.  But I wanted to show that you can make gorgeous cards by only using what's given to you when you Join My Team!  It's a great time to join but only until Friday because you can receive a FREE Big Shot or $100 in FREE merchandise.  Check out that promotion here.

I will keep this card in my arsenal of designs to use again because I love it so much, plus it's very easy to recreate.  The next time I will use embossing powder on the icing of the cupcake to make that pop a little more!  Just a suggestion if anyone tries this card.


No comments:

Post a Comment